Total knee arthroplasty is a treatment and rehabilitation option for patients diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Before undergoing surgery, the patient will undergo a physical examination together with knee X-rays. For diagnosis, assess the severity of osteoarthritis of the knee whether it is in the surgical criteria or not. and had to undergo treatment for osteoarthritis for a while Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is divided into two types:
Note : Find out more about cosmetic surgery https://www.bangmodaesthetic.com/article/content09012020
1. Primary osteoarthritis of the knee
often found in the elderly with over 50 years of age and those with natural deterioration Due to the use of knee joints for a long time
2. Secondary osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis of the knee is more likely to occur under the age of 50. It is caused by underlying medical conditions and health problems such as arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, autoimmune disease (SLE). History of accident or injury to the knee ligament It is most often associated with a torn posterior cruciate ligament injury. and torn herniated disc
Indications for knee replacement surgery
- have a burning sensation in the joint area Loud noise in the knee joint when moving
- I have pain when putting on weight. Time for walking and activities in daily life
- The function of the knee joint is reduced from normal conditions such as bending the knee is unable to stretch. unable to squat
- When walking, there is a feeling of insecurity. feeling loose knee
- has a bent-legged appearance and legs together
Treatment for osteoarthritis includes:
- Weight loss
- Physical therapy
- Taking pain relievers reduce pain
- Knee vitreous injection
- Knee replacement surgery
knee replacement surgery
Before undergoing surgery, the doctor will assess the degree of deterioration of the knee joint. In order to select the appropriate type of artificial knee joint for the patient, there are two types:
1. Half knee replacement surgery
Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty (UKA)
2. Full knee replacement surgery
(Total Knee Arthroplasty)
knee replacement surgery At present, there is a technology in surgery that has come to help success. There is a knee that can be used for a longer time. including effective pain reduction techniques during and after surgery by injecting anesthetic into the spine together with the injection of anesthesia in the nerves in the thigh Helps control pain levels for 24 – 48 hours.
Therefore, within 24 hours after surgery, the patient is able to return to walking by using a walking support device. spent 4 days in the hospital and returned to recuperate at home However, after the knee replacement surgery has been performed, the standard value for use is approximately 15-20 years or longer, depending on the use and care of the patient’s knee joint.
How should I take care of my health after surgery?
After surgery, the patient can resume normal daily life. and return to see a doctor for follow-up as scheduled To check the performance of the artificial knee joint whether it meets the standards or not. and should refrain from physical exertion during the recovery period for 1 month and follow the instructions for health care after surgery, including:
- Taking medication as scheduled To control pain during the first month, such as painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, and swelling pills
- Cold compress to reduce inflammation of the joints within 1-2 weeks after surgery.
- Doing physical exercises such as walking using a walking support device (walker), knee bending exercises. To allow the range of motion of the knee joint to restore function better.